School House History
There wasn’t much around the area when Rocky Point School House was built in the mid 1800′s, not even the 285 acre Weatherby Lake. The area was mostly comprised of farms, cornfields and a few dirt roads. Rocky Point – one of an estimated 75 one room schoolhouses in Platte County during the 19th century – “had a coal shed, two outside toilets and no horse barn” as late as 1923, according to a description in “The Chronicles of Weatherby Lake.” An aerial photo shows Rocky Point School and the surrounding cornfields and trees at the corner of Barry Road and Eastside Drive. Resting on Lot #1 of what is now known as Weatherby Lake, the school stands out because there were no structures or residences nearby.
The school closed after WWII when Parkville started bussing children and was later purchased in 1950. According to the Chronicles, at that time “Rocky Point School sat on an acre of ground. Slate boards, a cistern with a water pump, electricity, a big pot bellied stove and an 11 party line telephone came with the structure. There were two bathrooms inside the school – one for boys and one for girls.” The new owners added a dining room, made the cloak room into the kitchen and added a family room which adjoined the kitchen. The two big closets were converted into the master bedroom and the school room was used as a living room, moving the large 4×8 windows 3′ off of the floor. The living room ceiling was lowered to accomodate a bedroom and bathroom upstairs.
The home was remodeled in 1986 and again in 1996, adding on a separate upstairs loft, bedroom, bath and basement pool table/game room on the south side of the house. Unique iron spiral staircases were brought in to connect the newly added upstairs and downstairs. Now thoroughly modern, the home has the feel of a bed and breakfast.
This beautiful and gracious home boosts of 3,700 square feet of living space on three levels. It is certain that many a tale has been told and many a memory made as people mingled on the porches and wandered within. The warmth and hospitable atmosphere has endured the test of time continuing to embrace this home until this day welcoming all those who enter.